• Job part 5 - Devotion

    A brief prayer is offered at the end that you may add to your daily prayers. The scripture reference is from this Sunday's Service Bulletin.

    Old Testament Reading: Job 19 (ESV)

    25 “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. 26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, 27 whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another.  My heart faints within me!”

    Devotion: My Redeemer Lives!
    According to Miriam Webster, a redeemer is a person who brings goodness, honor, etc. to something once again. Our Lord Jesus Christ brings us goodness and honor that we do not deserve. But this goodness that we can now claim was bought with a heavy price. Our Lord suffered greatly and felt the wrath of God for the sins of the world. While on the cross Jesus spoke these words, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Matthew 27:46b (Also see Psalm 22:1). Jesus suffered physically, but he also felt spiritual pain at the separation from his Father in heaven. When we suffer, let us remember our Lord's suffering. We are not forsaken because our Lord is always with us. We have hope because our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, brings us life and frees us from the burdens of sin. Job's body may have been devastated, but Job's great faith led him to declare, “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.”

    Prayer: O Lord, let us never forget that Christ is our Redeemer who loves us so much that he gave his life for us. Praise be to God, our great Redeemer.

    May God bless you and keep you,

    Cheryl Virden