• Devotion 15 October - Grow

    A brief prayer is offered that you can add to your daily prayers this week. The scripture is from our Sunday Service Bulletin. We continue a seven Sunday series on “Making Disciples”.  Today, we continue a nature-based four step metaphor for making disciples: Plant, Sprout, Grow, Bear Fruit.
    Gospel Reading- John 15:1-6
    I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
    Devotion: Grow
    Discipleship is learning and living the ways of Jesus so that others learn and live his ways, too, so that others can learn and live His ways, too, and so on…. Therefore, to disciple someone you should follow and obey Jesus in your own life and be willing to help someone else do the same. I saw a wonderful quote from Coach Lou Holtz (Born:1937), that says, “In this world, you’re either growing or dying so get in motion and grow.” He gives an example of a business, a relationship, a sports team, and an individual’s spiritual growth. Coach Holtz also says you can make a ton of money, buy all the toys and Knick knacks your house will hold, and be a great sports hero with high honors. But none of that stuff can you take with you when you leave this world. One of the things that you can take with you to your reward is the loving discipleship that you have provided for a fellow Christian’s spiritual growth. The Gospel text talks about a vine that does not abide in Him will be thrown into the fire. God is speaking to us and the message is “I want you to grow and make disciples, don’t be a vine that does not produce.”

    We pray: “Lord help us nurture our fellow Christians.  Amen”