• Devotion - 14 January - Image of God

    A brief prayer is offered that you can add to your daily prayers this week. The scripture is from our Sunday Service Bulletin for today.  We continue our sermon series “S is for Sacred”. Man is a sacred creation of the King of Kings
    OT Reading- Jeremiah 1:4-8 [ESV]
    Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying,
    “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    and before you were born I consecrated you;
    I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
    Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” But the Lord said to me,
    “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’;
    for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
    and whatever I command you, you shall speak.
    Do not be afraid of them,
    for I am with you to deliver you,
    declares the Lord.”
    Devotion: The Image of God
    As we discussed last week, in Genesis we find that God created us in His own image. He has unconditional love for us and sometimes we take this love for granted. The OT text says that He knows everything about us even before we are conceived and, yet he lets us be fallible, we often foul up but He still loves us unconditionally. If we admit and try to understand the fact that we will mess up just about anything we do or say to one another, we take a step in the right direction. One of my favorite women authors tells us: “Men and women are both fallible in life, the difference is, women know it.” [Ouch!] Vincent van Gogh the famous painter once said: “Even the knowledge of my own fallibility cannot keep me from making mistakes. Only when I fall do I get up again”. Again, I say, we are created in God’s sacred image, but we are all fallible. In the week ahead, could we remember that we all make mistakes and slack off on the judgmental attitude? I am going to do my best—maybe it will make a difference.
    We pray: “Lord, help us follow your example and be more forgiving. Amen”

    God’s blessings and peace to you!